Monday, July 21, 2008

Iran Talks Can Help

From thestreet.com 7/21/08

Well, did you think Iran was just going to shut down its nuclear program?
I have been closely watching the Undersecretary of State William Burns and the results of his historic meeting yesterday in Geneva with the Saeed Jalili, Iran's top nuclear negotiator.
Don't get me wrong. It is definitely a step in the right direction to send a U.S. diplomat to the bargaining table with Iran. The purpose was to negotiate with the Iranians regarding their uranium enrichment program.
I think the meeting was largely symbolic, however. The U.S. sent Burns, Condoleeza Rice's undersecretary, to the meeting for a single day. And he was sent with demands that Iran has already rejected from much more influential diplomats.
However, I am very happy we sent him. I think the message Burns carried to Geneva was actually a message being sent to a place near Iran, but not on the Persian Gulf. I believe it was a message sent to Tehran, but meant for Jerusalem...........
Rest of Article